Beginner's Guide to PlanetSide 1 in 2016

Discuss general PSForever topics here.
Naeadil
Global Moderator

Beginner's Guide to PlanetSide 1 in 2016

Postby Naeadil » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:20 pm

I created a guide for newcomers for the upcoming PlanetSide Weekend event. Check it out here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16C8 ... CuqfPsc3WY

If you're not new you may learn something. If you have any feedback or think something should be added, please let me know.
- Nick
FateJH

Re: Beginner's Guide to PlanetSide 1 in 2016

Postby FateJH » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:52 pm

Someone is definitely going to ask this sooner or later.

Q. Where can I get the Mini-Chaingun? I took Heavy Assault and have access to the Maelstrom and the Jackhammer/Lasher.
A. You're not TR.

Although even I don't like the reliance, it would feel improper to not mention Air Calvary Scout. In fact, downplaying transportation except for the suggestion where you leave too much room for players to work with might be harsher on players than you imagine it will be. You will certainly wind-up needing some sort of self transportation that doesn't involve running sooner or later.

After having an evening to think about it, the loadout proposals might be a bit horse-before-cart. A BR1 will only have seven certs; and, will cap on average at eleven certs at BR5 after tutorial-trial spam (I've never been able to make it to BR6 without combat); and, the loadouts you outlined are something for BR10s or BR12s. Taken all together, a player would need to be BR16 to pick up everything you outlined in one of your earlier loadouts. The only loadout that a BR5 could afford is the last one you have listed - the "non-AV alternative" - and even there you will need to skip Medical for Medkits. Although prospective loadouts to work towards are a good thing, I think you should put some attention on incremental loadouts based on certification cost-benefits. For starting players, their cert versatility will pivot around whether they have selected HA (2+4=6) or Rexo (3), neither, or both (2+4+3=9).
Last edited by FateJH on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
VS: FateJH, BR 21 CR 0 TR: FJH, BR 18 CR 1 NC: FateJHNC, BR 14 CR 0
Ryathorz

Re: Beginner's Guide to PlanetSide 1 in 2016

Postby Ryathorz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:30 am

Don't promote strafe warping. Personally speaking if I logged in for an event and just found a bunch of MCG users warping left and right through the walls i'd log right back out again. Really don't have time for that shit.

I don't know how many completely new players you are expecting but -

1) For complete beginners though - how to find/talk to other players, how to join squads, and what to do when taking or holding a base ('protect/attack this room, etc)

2) Empire loadout variants like jackhammer/gauss and pulsar/sweeper and a brief note for each of the main weapons (i.e. why you have that missile launcher)

3) A note on how to deal with things like sensors and spitfires (and what to listen for to find those sensors).

4) A strength/weakness/guide to the three play types - regular, cloaker, and max. Thinks like switching to AV weapons or ammo against maxes, not using AV against regular armour, plasma or darklight against cloakers, etc.
-probably also bringing up the benefits and drawbacks of going in with unimax as you cert.

5) Combat - the general concepts of cone of fire expansion/control, range falloff, and damage mitigation.

If you think there will be a bunch of ps2 players giving ps1 a try then it might be worth bringing up any glaring differences, but I don't know ps2 well enough to comment on that.

Return to “Discussion”