Off Topic - Looking at Changing my Certs

Off-topic discussion! Keep it clean.
KingFeraligatr

Off Topic - Looking at Changing my Certs

Postby KingFeraligatr » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:14 am

Speaking that I'm not having much fun with my current certs or with the game in general ATM, I was thinking of changing them. My certs on my BR 28, CR 3 NC main currently are:

Rexo
    Medium and Special Assault
    Air Support (occasionally switched for AIr Cav Scout when needed)
    Ground Support
    Medical
    Hacking, Adv Hacking, and Expert Hacking
    Engineering and CE

Speaking that I'm hopeless in a a stand up fight, I was thinking of switching them out for this new config:

Infiltration Suit
    Medium Assault
    Ground Support
    Air Support
    Medical
    Engineering and CE
    Hacking, Adv Hacking, and Electronics Expert

This config gives me two certs left over that I eventually plan on pooling into something Forti Engi when I get to BR 29.

Is this even viable for the current state of the game and for someone who does not care for all the infantry grunting? Especially as I suck with it.
The King of Feraligatrs and the Typo Master.
BR 30, CR 3 NC, Gemini
RIP PS1. Long live PSForever.
Sulferix

Re: Off Topic - Looking at Changing my Certs

Postby Sulferix » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:24 am

Personally I think the second one is a better option, although I'm not the most experienced here to say so.
The Ultimate Annihilation of Hackers Is Inevitable
FateJH

Postby FateJH » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:35 pm

KingFeraligatr wrote:...

• -Rexo (+3)
  • -Special Assault (+3)
  • -Expert Hacking (+2)
  • +Infiltration Suit (-2)
  • +Electronics Expert (-4)
The real question is what utility you believe you are going to get from planting viruses and hacking manned vehicles. I've seen someone use the T-REK against a Mosquito, to stagger it, but he also had follow-up weaponry to deal with it and the Mossie was flying relatively stationary to begin with. Against Vehicles, do you believe a T-REK for two (more) certifcation points superior to free Jammers? (Encountering other combat vehicles at close ranges might be much more rare.)

If you think you can do something that is indispensable to your allies, go for it; otherwise, you're just going to be trading for a tour of duty as a Cloaker. It also depends on how little you rely on the Rexo buffer or how well you do with Agile.
VS: FateJH, BR 21 CR 0 TR: FJH, BR 18 CR 1 NC: FateJHNC, BR 14 CR 0
KingFeraligatr

Postby KingFeraligatr » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:15 pm

I get get mowed down instantly in any armor I'm in, be it Cloaking Suit, Pjs, Agile, Rexo, or even MAX armor. Maybe Rexo helps me a bit in non inventory space, but I dunno. I die just as fast. Basically I could think about scrapping the Electronics Expert plan, though I do tend to like it whenever I get the Cloaking Suit. I don't know though. Anything I try is lambasted by other players and ends in failure. The grunting certs I have give me little fun as well. Do I need to force myself to leave for a bit? Because I can't succeed in whatever I try, even in MAX or cloaking suits. It's beyond aggravating. Plus I'm in the faction with no good ES weaponry. Augh. I

Thanks for the recommendations regardless. Maybe I should drop Special Assault for the Cloaking Suit and get something else next BR or something? t's a struggle of what certs I find fun (tanks, cloaking suit, etc.) vs. certs that are highly recommended (Rexo, Heavy Assault, Air Cav Scout). I don't have much fun with the "recommended" certs and would like a change to something I might have fun with, esp. since I suck. So if I suck so badly and have no hope of EVER getting any better, wouldn't it just be better for me to get certs I'd might more fun with since I'll never succeed anyways?
The King of Feraligatrs and the Typo Master.
BR 30, CR 3 NC, Gemini
RIP PS1. Long live PSForever.
Ryathorz

Postby Ryathorz » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:01 pm

KingFeraligatr wrote:Plus I'm in the faction with no good ES weaponry. Augh.
Don't blame it on the gear - the gauss is the best long range MA weapon in the game and the jackhammer is the best point blank. The trick is not finding yourself in the intermediate range between the two.

As someone who played a VS grunt with the old pulsar and a 56k modem - squad up where possible. Some people spend a lot of time playing FPS games and get very good at them but the one-man rambo in planetside can't do much more than briefly inconvenience a squad with medics and engineers.

In terms of general weapon advice a mix of banzai charges and third person corner humping seemed to be the order of the day with jackhammers, while with the gauss you want to be crouched whenever possible firing in bursts of three unless you are taking hits (in which case shoot and move to a better spot), bullets inflict full damage out to 75m. For indoor work (particularly if you don't have HA) the sweeper shotgun is well worth a look.

Also - hit that medipack button as soon as you start taking damage, and don't do anything like bunny hopping as it won't help you (unless you are a VS max).
Sulferix

Postby Sulferix » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:55 pm

It's hilarious because for a while I was thinking of joining an elite ps2 outfit, I used to be good enough for that. When I found this game, it was so different I got absolutely wrecked. I think what what we all need is the game to have heavy pop again. That way players will find more people on their level. Until that happens, it's a challenge that I personally find addicting.
Degrado

Postby Degrado » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:55 am

At the last part of Ryathorz's post; medkits help out A LOT. Though they do actually require good timing to be able to keep yourself alive (knowing how many bullets and shells the opponent has shot and how much health you actually lost).
Sulferix

Postby Sulferix » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Ya I have Medford bound my MOUSE and I still forget to use them in combat. Again, combat is so random and sporadic it's hard to be completely prepared. I usually do well in a group, but alone I'm cannon fodder.
VagueNote

Postby VagueNote » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Sulferix wrote: Again, combat is so random and sporadic it's hard to be completely prepared. I usually do well in a group, but alone I'm cannon fodder.

Tats the main problem with the game not having a big population. If there are few players, pretty much your only options are cloaker, max, or commando gameplay. And if you can't do any of the three then you will have a hard time. :/
The one obsessed with skill, wisdom, and music.

Ineficiance, is the bane of my existance.

Better to die, for the nubs that don't try.

VS Famenofsense BR 21 CR 2
NC Bukitoflard BR 10 CR 1
TR FamineOfSense BR 10 CR 0
VagueNote

Postby VagueNote » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Oh and King, I'd suggest trying out that Elite Assault Flamer. With that weapon you don't need perfect aim, and if you use it properly it really rocks in towers and stairs. If the enemy is not naiding spamming, you can just charge up the stairs with a cloud of flame in front of you and if someone gets in the way he's toast. the cloud of flame should cover you well enough to get close, anyone who maybe on the top of the stairs regardless of whether or not he got in front of your first cloud should be easy to turn into a pile of ash. Because the Flamer has the most DPS against infantry out of all the weapons, so you should be fine at that point. But if they are not right up your face, you need to do some crazy exaggeration when aiming in front of where you think he's going.
This technique is most effective against NC JG users, or VS lasher players. Though this technique may not be so good against TR because TR don't wait until you get close to shoot you, infact they need to stay at medium distance if they want to survive. So you should always remember to shoot a grenade up before charging so that the enemy player stays hidden until you get up there.

Hope this helps. :D
The one obsessed with skill, wisdom, and music.

Ineficiance, is the bane of my existance.

Better to die, for the nubs that don't try.

VS Famenofsense BR 21 CR 2
NC Bukitoflard BR 10 CR 1
TR FamineOfSense BR 10 CR 0

Return to “Discussion”