Project Update #4 - Dec. 22

The latest sitrep on PSForever.
Chord
Site Admin

Project Update #4 - Dec. 22

Postby Chord » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:48 pm

Just a brief update for the project.

The capture submission has been a great success with 8,801,315 records across 307 capture files submitted so far! If you submitted, thank you so much for your time. If PlanetSide's servers went down today, we'd be in good shape.

In other good news, I have just open sourced the GameLauncher and GameLogger tools to GitHub. This means that the GCAP capture files that have been submitted can now be parsed by anyone who wishes it. Also anyone who is enterprising enough can contribute their own changes to the tools (please do). Check out the open source projects now! If you are a C# programmer or someone who wants to learn, have a read through the code. It's not the cleanest, but it should be mostly understandable.

From here, the full focus of this project will be getting a minimal login and game server up and running. This is going to be slow at first as there is a lot of boilerplate to be written, such as a PlanetSide compatible networking library. I hope to have some screenshots and things to test within the next couple of months, my schedule permitting. At the moment, I'm not sure if the servers will be open source from the start, or I will open source them when I feel it is appropriate.

It's been a good couple of months for the project. We started from nothing and now we're here. The best parts are yet to come.
Stick around and enjoy your holidays!
[ PSForever admin and developer ]
PSForever Code | Capturing Packets | Community Discord
FateJH

Re: Project Update #4 - Dec. 22

Postby FateJH » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:36 pm

I have two tasks I am working on right now - access to ancient weaponry and access to the caverns. This may or may not include access to ancient vehicles depending on the versatility of anything that I uncover.

Since I am still going the packet route, my method of access to the weaponry involves understanding a variety of inventory management and terminal communications, and I am framing it as an extension of my "how much the client does and how much the server does for the client" explorations. So far, it's not looking as bright as I would hope. My current assessment is that I may be chasing after a server-granted object GUID. If that's the case, it's entirely possible the server will never let me hold a working ancient weapon in my hands (note the key word "working") outside of the Shooting Range. Regardless of my prognostics, I am still continuing this manner since it will at least lead to understanding of some of the game's packet data.

The latter is "on hold" at the moment, pending a more effective analysis methodology.

I have some other packet captures to submit involving the ACE tool, but I need to go back and not only finish the One-Manned Field Turret captures, but also get the OMFTs Avenger and the Osprey. (Why is the TR turret "the Avenger?" That sounds so NC ...) I also need to finish with my character creation captures project.

On a related note, whenever I leave the game paused at a breakpoint in the debugger for too long so I can explore what's going on at a given time, I get packets dropping. The dropping incentivizes the game to eject me ("You have left the world") before I get to resume properly. I am concerned that this happens in real time as it usually takes no time for the game to dump me back to the world select screen once I resume, and it further concerns me regarding the accuracy of the data I collect from the paused process while debugging.
VS: FateJH, BR 21 CR 0 TR: FJH, BR 18 CR 1 NC: FateJHNC, BR 14 CR 0
Sulferix

Postby Sulferix » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:19 pm

good work fateJH, you definitely seem to know what your doing. let me know if you need any help getting into the caves, and keep up the good work!
The Ultimate Annihilation of Hackers Is Inevitable
Chord
Site Admin

Postby Chord » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:39 pm

FateJH, just a reminder that it's definitely possible to spoof weapons.

Also back in the day, I was able to place CE, on walls, ceilings, and other blocked places just by NOPing out the client-side checks.
I was doing some testing in warpgates and you can repair yourself, but not damage anything when you disable the client-side check.
Sulferix

Postby Sulferix » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:41 am

intresting.... wonder if that was patched though
The Ultimate Annihilation of Hackers Is Inevitable
p0intman

Postby p0intman » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:29 am

there are certain surfaces that you can place certain CE on in certain circumstances, for example the gen room door frame has an area where you can place a boomer or other CE on if you point at it just right.
ImageImage
Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company
Chord
Site Admin

Postby Chord » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:59 pm

p0intman wrote:there are certain surfaces that you can place certain CE on in certain circumstances, for example the gen room door frame has an area where you can place a boomer or other CE on if you point at it just right.

Actually, when I say CE I mean this

p0intman

Postby p0intman » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:20 pm

when was that captured? I'm really fond of the fact that my old outfit is named in that, LMAO. oh karion.
ImageImage
Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company
Chord
Site Admin

Postby Chord » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:40 pm

p0intman wrote:when was that captured? I'm really fond of the fact that my old outfit is named in that, LMAO. oh karion.

I'm pretty sure the CE stuff was made server-side once they started blocking the HART by putting TRAPs in the doorways :P
It was shot 2008
jiggle

Postby jiggle » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Chord wrote:Just a brief update for the project.

The capture submission has been a great success with 8,801,315 records across 307 capture files submitted so far! If you submitted, thank you so much for your time. If PlanetSide's servers went down today, we'd be in good shape.

In other good news, I have just open sourced the GameLauncher and GameLogger tools to GitHub. This means that the GCAP capture files that have been submitted can now be parsed by anyone who wishes it. Also anyone who is enterprising enough can contribute their own changes to the tools (please do). Check out the open source projects now! If you are a C# programmer or someone who wants to learn, have a read through the code. It's not the cleanest, but it should be mostly understandable.

From here, the full focus of this project will be getting a minimal login and game server up and running. This is going to be slow at first as there is a lot of boilerplate to be written, such as a PlanetSide compatible networking library. I hope to have some screenshots and things to test within the next couple of months, my schedule permitting. At the moment, I'm not sure if the servers will be open source from the start, or I will open source them when I feel it is appropriate.

It's been a good couple of months for the project. We started from nothing and now we're here. The best parts are yet to come.
Stick around and enjoy your holidays!

the frequent updates are really nice, thx for that. happy holidays to all planetside lovers

Return to “Project Updates”