Project Update #6 - Feb. 4th

The latest sitrep on PSForever.
Chord
Site Admin

Project Update #6 - Feb. 4th

Postby Chord » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:30 am

Hey PSForever.

Apologies for the recent nasty spam attack. I'll be tightening registration and flooding limits to counter act future events. Big thanks to Sulferix and p0intman for keeping things from falling to shit.

As for my absence, well I've been working on the server - client communication and I'm able to get an unmodified client to talk to my server and have the client get past the login progress.
Yeah not as much as I was hoping for either. I've been quite slammed this spring with work and I just haven't been able to devote as many cycles as I would like. I do need to make a point to keep you guys up to date regardless though. Otherwise I figure most of you will probably scurry off to another corner of the internet out of boredom.

I'm currently doing server development on my Linux machine which is great, but obviously not ideal because PlanetSide is windows only. I've been able to get away with this for a while as PlanetSide has great Wine support. The best apart about having chosen Scala is that I don't have to change any code over from Linux to Windows due to it being JVM based. One thing I do have to change which is slowing me down right now is my crypto library is in C++, which is platform specific. It's working for Linux only and I would need to port it over. Not a huge deal, but just something that is bothering me at the moment.

In order to speed up development, I have decided to open source what I have so far on the Login Server. It is available here: https://github.com/psforever/PSF-LoginServer

Until next time!
[ PSForever admin and developer ]
PSForever Code | Capturing Packets | Community Discord
Sulferix

Re: Project Update #6 - Feb. 4th

Postby Sulferix » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:03 pm

NOICE!
Well now we can finally take a look and hopefully contribute. I know I will be!
The Ultimate Annihilation of Hackers Is Inevitable
Chord
Site Admin

Postby Chord » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:16 pm

Im going to clean up what I've written when I get the chance. If you are interested in contributing, download IntelliJ IDEA and make sure you get the Scala and SBT plugins

https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/#chooseYourEdition

Going to write more info on getting this up and running soon. Note: there is a file missing that won't allow the server to run. That's what I'm working on getting ported.
Sulferix

Postby Sulferix » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Chord wrote:Im going to clean up what I've written when I get the chance. If you are interested in contributing, download IntelliJ IDEA and make sure you get the Scala and SBT plugins

https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/#chooseYourEdition

Going to write more info on getting this up and running soon. Note: there is a file missing that won't allow the server to run. That's what I'm working on getting ported.

Ok good to know. Damn I have a lot of shit to do next weekend. It'll be fun though!
The Ultimate Annihilation of Hackers Is Inevitable
FateJH

Postby FateJH » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:17 pm

Chord wrote:In order to speed up development, I have decided to open source what I have so far on the Login Server. It is available here: https://github.com/psforever/PSF-LoginServer

Huzzah. We're finally at the part of the project where we realize how absurd our scope is and start breaking promises as we push back deliveries. Just like real software developers.
Chord wrote:If you are interested in contributing, download IntelliJ IDEA and make sure you get the Scala and SBT plugins

*adds another IDE onto the heap on his PC; his tower creaks*

I've taken a break from probing the terrible secret of Geowarps and am doing something proactive for the project. I've been drawing up some preliminary UMLs for the project, with "preliminary" in this case meaning "absolutely useless to us." At least it's helping me think about exactly what we'll be needing to represent things for this server to be realistic. Building framework for things we can see? that's easy. Bases and terminals and players and vehicles, easy; don't focus on the specific numbers yet and it's easy. Building framework for things we can't see? that's trickier, dependent entirely on how much or how little we garner from packet interpretation. Anyway, the formal design work can't be done by just an individual.

I'm doing what I am doing in Dia for Windows because Microsoft is greedy when it came to Visio, my first choice, and OpenOffice, my second choice, doesn't have good UML shape styles. Whether this mental exercise even becomes worth sharing, I don't know how I'm going to go about that yet.
VS: FateJH, BR 21 CR 0 TR: FJH, BR 18 CR 1 NC: FateJHNC, BR 14 CR 0
Chord
Site Admin

Postby Chord » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:24 am

FateJH wrote:
Chord wrote:In order to speed up development, I have decided to open source what I have so far on the Login Server. It is available here: https://github.com/psforever/PSF-LoginServer

Huzzah. We're finally at the part of the project where we realize how absurd our scope is and start breaking promises as we push back deliveries. Just like real software developers.
Chord wrote:If you are interested in contributing, download IntelliJ IDEA and make sure you get the Scala and SBT plugins

*adds another IDE onto the heap on his PC; his tower creaks*

I've taken a break from probing the terrible secret of Geowarps and am doing something proactive for the project. I've been drawing up some preliminary UMLs for the project, with "preliminary" in this case meaning "absolutely useless to us." At least it's helping me think about exactly what we'll be needing to represent things for this server to be realistic. Building framework for things we can see? that's easy. Bases and terminals and players and vehicles, easy; don't focus on the specific numbers yet and it's easy. Building framework for things we can't see? that's trickier, dependent entirely on how much or how little we garner from packet interpretation. Anyway, the formal design work can't be done by just an individual.

I'm doing what I am doing in Dia for Windows because Microsoft is greedy when it came to Visio, my first choice, and OpenOffice, my second choice, doesn't have good UML shape styles. Whether this mental exercise even becomes worth sharing, I don't know how I'm going to go about that yet.

Any chance you have those UML diagrams handy? You could create a wiki page for them if you want.
Also, I use yEd for diagramming. It's not as nice as Visio, but could be something everyone can use
FateJH

Postby FateJH » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:25 pm

Chord wrote:Any chance you have those UML diagrams handy? You could create a wiki page for them if you want.
Also, I use yEd for diagramming. It's not as nice as Visio, but could be something everyone can use

I can begin converting what I have from Dia to yEd.
VS: FateJH, BR 21 CR 0 TR: FJH, BR 18 CR 1 NC: FateJHNC, BR 14 CR 0

Return to “Project Updates”